Wednesday, October 06, 2004

Miniature marvels

My mom and dad returned from a trip to Kentucky last week, and brought back these teeny-tiny wonders for me:



Aren't they cute? I love things in miniature, and I have a (small) collection of little chairs. These are a perfect addition. Not only that, they were handcarved by an elderly gentlemen in the hills of Kentucky.

My mom explained that when they visited his home, he had a sort of shed out back and invited their group to go in and "dig around" in all kinds of boxes containing his hand-carved work. It's unbelievable to me that a person could make such tiny and intricate pieces with only a pocketknife and a some pieces of wood.

Now I just need some teeny-tiny occupants for them!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Holy carp those are so cool! I am quite fond of miniature things too. Here in Chicago they have the Art Institute museum which has a section on miniatures in the basement. It's my favorite part of the whole museum!
-Jenn