Sunday, September 19, 2010

Remembering

Lives pastTake me homeCenturion


I love antiquing. There's something so intereseting about looking at things from the past, wondering who owned them, how they were used. And something a little sad, too, seeing treasured items on display for strangers to buy.

Looking at the photographs always makes me wonder about the people in them, their lives, and how those photos have ended up on a cluttered table instead of safely tucked away in a relative's home. They remind me, too, of how things change, how things that were once useful are obsolete, how quickly time passes by.

Maybe that's why I love photography; it lets me capture moments in time, things I might otherwise forget, documenting what is important to me today. Perhaps someone 100 years from now will look through my photos and wonder about my life, who I was and the things I loved. I wonder...

7 comments:

Jan said...

I agree...with all of your sentiments! Looks like this was a wonderful show.

Unknown said...

Wonderful walk, wonderful company. An overall inspiring day! Thanks for the company.

La Cabeza Grande said...

We have this innate need to be remembered; to have our presence here marked in some significant way. I think you have succeeded.

Megan said...

Hi Mrs. Adams! I loveeee thrifting and antique shopping, too. What antique store was this? Did you find anything special? I love your blog and your photography- keep the updates coming!

Megan

Ulla V. said...

I know exactly what you mean. I too love looking at old things in shops and museums. It really makes one wonder and I think that certain things bring along a feeling of the past. As if it was yesterday that people had used and cherished the thing.

I love bringing our children to museums - I want them to respect and know how life was lived in the past. It gives a perspective to the life we live today.

And photos are truely a gift for capturing the past - especially when it can look as wonderful as the ones you take. Hopefully all of your photos will be loved and saved by your family when we look 100 years ahead. :))

jackie said...

I know what you mean. I find myself looking intently at old photographs and trying to read the expressions on the people's faces - wondering about them. Photography does seem like a way to freeze a moment in time.

CSI Las Vegas dvd said...

Wonderful walk!