Monday, May 23, 2005

Sweet enough to eat

About a year ago, I bought an adorable baby hat kit by Debby Ware. I didn't have any particular plans for it, but just had to have it waiting in the wings.

Last week, I finally found my purpose for this little gem. My brother and his wife are expecting their first baby this fall, and just found out that it's a girl! (I know, sonograms can be unreliable...but we're going with this for now.) Anyway, with that news, I pulled this kit out of the stash and cast on.

I had so much fun with this! One reason is that I got to try some new techniques. The first was two-strand, two-color knitting a la Fair Isle. I will admit, this gave me fits and there were several sessions of ripping back and starting over. I was unclear on where to place the yarns and also how to hold them. A quick google search led me to this awesome video tutorial.

The other embellishment I'd never knit before was bobbles. I was a little unsure just reading the directions, but once I had needles and yarn in my hands, it was really quite easy. Thank heaven for those Addi Turbos...they keep the yarn moving easily off the needles, a plus when knitting bobbles and using cotton yarn.

Anyway, I was obsessed with this project to the point of setting aside all else. I finally finished the little toppers last night, and here's the finished product.


Image hosted by Photobucket.com


It reminds me of a yummy pastry...hence the shot on the cake plate, since I don't have a cute baby to model it yet. I'm really pleased with how this came out. Very girly, eh?

Here's a shot of the top.


Image hosted by Photobucket.com


Very unique, very fun, and I hope, very wearable. Now I want to make another!

15 comments:

Donna said...

That is a beautiful hat.

zibibbo said...

Lovely work!
So adorable :))

Faerynuff said...

that is too cute! I love it. I'm going to google for the pattern and kit details!

Ann said...

That is so unbelievably cute I can't even stand it.

Vicki said...

How adorable! A little girl would look so cute in that :)

Cathi said...

Sooo cute! I have to go check out the kits now! You did an amazing job, can't wait to see a pic of the baby in it when she arrives.

margene said...

It is the cutest hat I have EVER seen! How smart of you to be ahead of the game.

Kathy said...

What a lucky little girl to have an aunt ensuring that she'll be the coolest baby in town!

Carole said...

That hat is the cutest thing! I love the photo on the cake plate, too! Yummmmmy!

Kristin said...

I love it! I also love cake.

Danielle said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE the hat!!!! So freaking adorable I could eat it up!

wenders said...

That is awesome! Kinda makes me want to knit hats, too!

justcinful said...

Cute! Cute! Cute!

Beck said...

It looks good enough to eat! What a gorgeous hat. I'm sure it will look adorable on the new baby.

Michele said...

oh my gosh...I just love your blog and I have fallen in love with that hat. my very very dear friend had a baby girl last night...I'm off to track down that pattern/kit/whatever! Your peonies are very pretty too :) I'll be checking in on you.