Monday, June 16, 2008

Monday musings

A couple of weeks ago I decided to follow Amy’s advice and to take a short walk while observing the wonderful, everyday things around me. I grabbed my camera and notebook and headed out the door.

A happy start to the day


When I set out on this brief jaunt, I was very intentional in my plan to pause, look and listen. What I learned is that we miss so much by being in a hurry. I’m the worst offender of all-- always scurrying to the next activity, trying to stick to a plan or a schedule. On this day I allowed myself to walk slowly, to photography ordinary objects, and to enjoy the moment.

Tree swing


After reaching my destination (the local bagel shop), I jotted some brief notes to help me remember those simple blessings. Enjoying the buttery crunch of a bagel; people watching; appreciating the charming design of my apple juice bottle. Noticing the high, thin clouds overhead; the lower humidity; the tree swing next door. All of these would be missed if I’d traveled by car or was too hassled or hurried to care.

So I pass the challenge along to you. Be sure to read Amy’s post, then set out on your own adventure. And I’d love to hear about it if you do!

2 comments:

heather smith jones said...

I realized the same thing the other day. I've been walking to the post office lately instead of driving and I thought to myself, 'you know, if i was driving i wouldn't be enjoying this beautiful day nearly as much'!

here's to more noticing...

La Cabeza Grande said...

What a great idea, Leslie! I've been going on a weekly photo safari. It really does open your eyes to what's around you.