Monday, November 05, 2007

Comfort shawl

The sister of a close childhood friend was diagnosed just two months ago with a very rare form or lung cancer, the kind you get from asbestos exposure 20 or 30 years ago. It's serious, and the outcome uncertain. I've been praying for her, and sending notes of love and encouragement. But I wanted to do more, so I purchased this array of Noro Silk Garden Lite.

Noro Silk Garden Lite for shawl


Four colorways, two skeins each: #2027, #2010, #2018 and #2033. I wound all into yarn cakes so I could see the range of colors (and check for knots) and it's amazing how different two skeins of the same colorway can be. I really had no idea how all these colorways would meld, so I just jumped in with the yarn in the upper left corner of the photo above and progressed from there. The pattern I'm using is the Feather and Fan Comfort Shawl by Sarah Bradberry.

Noro shawl start


You can see the random stripe of brown/gold in this first skein that seems a bit at odds with the other colors. After finishing that skein I moved to the next one in line. Once I got to the hot pink, however, I decided to cut that section out; it was just too glaringly different. Since this photo I've almost completed the third skein and I'm anxious to jump into the last colorway. Only then will I know the total range of colors I have to work with, and I'll also decide whether or not to just repeat the colors in order or do something different.

My goal is to get this done in the next few weeks, before cold weather really sets in, and send it to my friend for use through the winter. I've no idea if she's a "shawl person" but it can be a cozy throw for around the house if nothing else. My prayers for hope and comfort are woven into these stitches, and I hope they'll bring their own warmth in a very scary time.

12 comments:

Carole Knits said...

I think it's beautiful. I hope it will bring your friend comfort and healing.

Rani said...

I'll say a prayer. The shawl will be treasured. It's gorgeous!

Peacock Chic said...

That is wonderful, both the thought and the shawl. I know you friend will appreciate it as handmade items are more about the love IN them than the item itself.

PlazaJen said...

The shawl looks awesome, and all the love & prayers & good wishes that are in every stitch will be felt.

Anonymous said...

Absolutely beautiful and determined to cheer your friend up.

Anonymous said...

The shawl is lovely and I'm sure it will give her comfort and hopefully some healing...my prayers are with her.

sgeddes said...

The colors are lovely and working up to be a beuatiful shawl. It will be a very thoughtful gift. I'll send my prayers along too.

Jan said...

This is going to be beautiful! I just bought some Silk Garden Lite myself, and I think it will make a lovely weight shawl.
What a thoughtful gesture...and one that's sure to offer comfort.

a friend to knit with said...

what a lovely thoughtful gift leslie.
my thoughts and prayers are with her.

Anonymous said...

what a kind sweet thing to do for your friend-
sending good thoughts her way-

Carrie said...

Very pretty, what a lovely gift.

La Cabeza Grande said...

What a beautiful sentiment from a beautiful person. All best wishes to your friend.