Sunday, October 07, 2007

Back to knitting

I've been so slow in my knitting these days, as well as most other things creative, since we embarked on a major house project involving all the floors. We had our hardwoods refinished just about a month ago and although we paid a crew to do the work, there were still a lot of before and after messes for me to deal with, including LOTS of dusting, rearranging and moving of furniture, staying off the floors for a time and trying to work around all that. Made me tired!

This week we had new carpet installed throughout our main floor and second floor. It was kinda like moving without moving homes. Lots and lots of stuff schlepped down to the basement (the only space with relatively new carpet that wasn't being replaced). Clearing all surfaces of knick-knacks, books, anything valuable. Pretty much down to bare bones by the time the carpet installers arrived. And while the new carpet makes it all worth it, I'm still in the process of putting everything back into place. This involves deciding to get rid of some things--donating to Goodwill, selling on Craigslist or just plain trashing. So much mental and physical energy, which saps my creative juices. Making me a very bad blogger and lackluster knitter!

At any rate, I finally made decisions about the Tomten jacket I've been dying to knit. I opted for some basic Cascade 220 (for the washability factor). I love the sweaters I've seen knit with beautiful handspun or natural looking tweeds, but I decided to go for practicality for this two-year-old and her mom.

Cascade 220 Superwash
Tomten Sweater Start
Tomten Sweater Start


Nevermind that my niece's birthday is just three days away. This little sweater won't make it in time, but hopefully will be loved when it does get finished. Christmas, anyone?

5 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Aww, that'll be such a cute sweater when it's done.

I can't imagine how much work is involved in the floors/carpets project. Someday when my kids are older, I can take on a big home beautification project like that. For now, I just live vicariously.

La Cabeza Grande said...

Wow, that's an awful lot of work and clean-up! It's hard now but I'm certain you'll enjoy the results.

Really like the colors you've chosen for the sweater.

Anonymous said...

It's better late then never. And you can seriously never go wrong with those colors! Can't wait to see it.

I'm jealous about your new floors, not jealous of the work, but jealous of the finished product, I'm sure you will love them!

Jen in KS said...

That'll be an adorable jacket. And I feel for you about re-doing your floors. I ripped up the forty-year-old carpeting in our house last year while my dad was in and out of the hospital. I am glad we didn't have to refinish the wood floors we found underneath, but moving all the furniture around in this dinky house was like putting together a puzzle.

ChelleC said...

Great color choices, as always! It's going to be appreciated whenever you get it finished.